Motorhome & Campervan Registration, Road Fund Tax & Insurance

Owning a motorhome in the UK is simple and legal. In the UK title of the motorhome is passed to the new owner by payment of the invoice for the vehicle, the registration document only contains  the details of the registered keeper, not necessarily the legal owner, so having a registration document in your name does not prove you are the owner of the vehicle.

Registration of Motorhomes & Campervans

Once you have paid for the campervan, title has passed and you are the legal owner. We transfer the registration document to your name as the registered keeper, and to complete the registration document you will need a valid UK address. We are happy for our customers to use our home address for the purpose of the registration document, although if you have any friends or relatives in the UK, we are very happy for you to use another valid UK address. It is important that you realise that any correspondence regarding renewal of road fund tax, parking infringements, speeding etc. will be sent to the address used for registration.

Road Fund Tax

Once you set off in your motorhome you will be given the registration document to take with you, it should be carried with you if you are touring Europe, and may be required to be produced at European borders, or if asked for by traffic police. The registration document contains the vehicle chassis number, taxation class (usually Private Light Goods) and most importantly the UK registration number. Before you set off we will also have arranged the road fund tax on your behalf, costs of this can be given at the time of your purchase, but is subject to change by the UK government’s annual budget, road fund tax is available for either 6 months or 12 months. Replacement road fund tax can be obtained on line via the internet, or at a main UK Post Office over the counter. It should be displayed at all times on the windscreen.

Insurance of Motorhomes & Campervans

We are unable to obtain insurance for you, and we are unable to advise on insurance ourselves as we are not qualified insurance agents. We can however currently refer customers to two insurance companies our customers  have been using for many years, and who are happy to insure Australian, New Zealand, South African, Canadian or American citizens for a motorhome to use in the UK or Europe.

  1. The first company will cover motorhomes up to £45,000 maximum value, for periods from 15 days to 12 months, and for policy holders from 20 to 70 years of age.
  2. The second company will cover motorhomes up to £20,000 maximum value and for customers up to 74 years of age.

Although you do not need a permanent UK address, you will need to supply a contact address, and we always suggest you use the same address as you have used for the vehicle registration. One of these companies will also cover a car fully comprehensive, and if towing a caravan, this will be third party insurance.

It is important that when obtaining the insurance quote that you specify which countries you will be visiting, it is sometimes possible to obtain insurance for countries outside of the EU for an additional premium, but it may be at a different level of cover. These details are correct as at November 2011, and you should make enquiries yourself to ensure these details are all relevant to your particular requirements.

Whilst it is possible to obtain an insurance quote reference number, but commence it once you get to the UK, sometimes, and especially in the spring it is difficult to get to speak to an insurance agent quickly due to busy phone lines, and it is not unusual for the waiting process then the proposal to take 2-3 hours, so arranging the insurance and having the policy e-mailed to you before you leave is very worthwhile.

MOT Tests

All vehicles in the UK currently require an annual MOT (Ministry Of Transport) test. We usually ensure that if you require the motorhome for less than 12 months, you will have a valid test for the period of your use. If you are planning a trip for longer than 12 months, you will need to make arrangements to come back to the UK for an MOT renewal.